Call for CDTI MISSIONS for large research projects

Under the new strategy of the Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology (CDTI), formerly CENIT, aid is given for the financing of large collaborative projects. It is expected that the new call for aid will be launched in September to address the strategic technological challenges of the Spanish industrial sector. The new Misiones CDTI program will be focused on overcoming national challenges, irrespective of the technology used to overcome them.

As we initially announced, the Centre for Industrial Technological Development (CDTI) has been elaborating the program over the last few months, in collaboration with different working groups. Five major challenges have already been established:

1. Safe, efficient and clean energy in the 21st century

2. Sustainable and intelligent mobility in the 21st century

3. A large, sustainable and health-oriented agrifood industry.

4. A large industry for the health of the Spanish society.

5. A competitive and sustainable and digital industry and economy.


  • Many technological platforms have been involved in defining the needs of the industry and the challenges that must be overcome. Those meetings have already helped establish some of the characteristics of the aids to be granted by the call. First of all, two types of large projects will be able to submit financing, namely projects whose consortium involves companies and projects that designate 20% of their budget to subcontracting research centres:
  •  Projects of a duration of 3-4 years and a 5-million-euro budget. Their consortium must include at least 3 to 8 companies led by a large company and where at least one company must be an SME. 85% of the project must be dedicated to industrial research (up to TRL 4) and the remaining 15% of the project to development (up to TRL 6).
  • Projects of a duration of 2-3 years and a funding of between 1.5 and 3 million euro. The project must guarantee access to SMEs and must involve at least 3 to 6 companies led by a medium-sized company. 60% of the project must be dedicated to industrial research (up to TRL 4) and the remaining 40% of the project must be dedicated to development (up to TRL 6).

The amount of the aid, given in the form of a subsidy, would amount to 60% for large companies and 75% for SMEs.